BC Wine Industry Offers Support to California
For Immediate Release
October 11, 2017
KELOWNA, BC - Here in British Columbia, we are no strangers to wildfires, however the destruction that has hit Northern California this week is absolutely devastating. On behalf of the BC Wine Industry, we would like to offer our support to our colleagues in California.
"In times like these, it is more important than ever for our industry to come together and support one another," remarks Christa-Lee McWatters Bond, Chair of the BC Wine Institute. "We also want to extend a heartfelt thank you to the firefighters and first responders who are working tirelessly to help those in need and bring the fires under control."
Many of our members have close ties with colleagues in California, with some even owning property in the area. "We are extremely lucky that our sister winery, Madrone Estate at Valley of the Moon is still standing, however many of their neighbours were not so fortunate," says Tony Stewart, Proprietor and CEO of Quails' Gate Winery (Kelowna, BC). "Our hearts are with everyone who has been impacted by the fires. The wine industry is renowned for working together and never has that been more apparent than in these frightening times."
The BC Wine Institute is highlighting relief efforts where contributions can be made to help the farmers, owners and residents of the affected areas, and is encouraging fellow BC wineries to support our colleagues in any way possible. From all of your northern neighbours, stay strong California - our thoughts are with you.
Here's how you can help:
- The Napa Valley Community Disaster Relief Fund is collecting cash donations here
- GoFundMe pages dedicated to California fire relief: www.gofundme.com/raise-funds/CAfirerelief
- You can donate to the Red Cross, which helps distribute disaster relief aid. In addition to online donations, you can also call 1-800 RED CROSS or text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
- Donate to local animal shelters, which are helping people keep their pets safe. Humane Society of Sonoma County: sonomahumane.org, Humane Society of Napa County: napahumane.org, and Yuba-Sutter SPCA: yubasutterspca.org.
- Certain local agencies have called for material supplies, including the Petaluma Police Department. Fast Company notes you can donate to the following food pantries: Food pantries of Napa County, Food pantries of Yuba County, and Food pantries of Sonoma County. The Center for Volunteer & Nonprofit Leadership is keeping an updated list of needs for fire victims.
- 30 -